Friday, May 22, 2009

Further adventures in motherhood

I am aware that most of my posts have to do with showers. Perhaps this is because showering is one of those beautiful remnants of the past, back when I had "me" time, and nobody bothered me, and how they tend to play out now in comparison to those days is traumatic at best.

As I near the end of my pregnancy (less than two months left!), I increasingly need and crave relaxation, but where would one find such things? I was taking a shower, hurrying as usual, and right as I had a head full of shampoo, Selah jerked the door open, and shouted, "I need you to wipe my bottom!" Closing my eyes, I decided I could hope that all had gone well on the potty (just outside) for the moment, at least while I was taking a shower, and just clean up if need be later. Shampoo dripping into my eyes, throwing water all over the bathroom, I performed the requested/demanded duty, and then leaned back in to rinse.

I didn't realize that Selah left the door open when she left--until the smoke detector right outside the bathroom went off, as it always does when steam leaves the bathroom. I squeezed my eyes shut again, trying to ignore its shrill shrieks, as I was unable to reach the door knob to shut the door. Of course Selah was frightened by the noise, too, so started running around the house screaming, "Aaaa! Aaaaa!" The volume of her screams competed with that of the smoke detector's, and I finally gave up my quest for a complete, full bathing experience and got out to make everyone shut up.

I wasn't even mad; all you can do is laugh.

2 comments:

w said...

You know those people with deep, large bathtubs that a whole pregnant body can fit into? They really need to see those as a gift God gave them for ministry, don'tcha think? If I had one, I'd offer to watch Selah while you relaxed properly :)

ms_smartiepants said...

Our smoke detector does that too...so annoying! When Micah was a baby, I used to have to take my entire (5-minute) shower with the curtain open, so he wouldn't scream the whole time. By the time we moved out of that apartment I was more than a little worried the tub would fall through the floor.