Friday, July 27, 2007

Living in a Celiac World

As many of you know, I am a celiac--or, as some prefer, I have celiac disease. I know this sounds like something fatal, or perhaps like I have some kind of mental illness that might cause me to spontaneously shriek obscenities at you (that's a different problem that I have), but it really is more of a lifestyle issue. When I was first diagnosed, it felt like a huge curse, but now that I have progressed to the acceptance phase, I see it as a way to help educate people and to be an activist--this is a very common problem, with scientists estimating that up to 1 percent of the population being afflicted.

For those who may not know, celiac disease is an auto-immune system problem. When a celiac eats wheat, rye, or barley, my body sees their gluten as being something to attack--and attacks itself in the process. Celiac disease may produce no symptoms at all, but commonly causes various stomach ailments, as well as side-effects such as depression, infertility, fatigue, weight loss (not the good kind), etc. It also produces skin problems in some celiacs, such as hives or eczema. Celiac disease damages one's small intestines, resulting basically in malnutrition (which is why all of those symptoms occur--one's body is not getting the nourishment that it needs). At this point, it can only be "fixed" by one method--diet. I must eat gluten-free, meaning...yes...I cannot eat girl scout cookies.

This brings me to the activist part. I have known for two years that being a celiac is responsible for my feeling cruddy for many years before that. When I was first diagnosed, I experienced a lot of grief, and also had a hard time finding things I could eat. Even in these past two years, I have seen changes--more people I know have heard of this ailment, Safeway has started carrying some gluten-free products, and I have had greater success finding professional chefs and waiters willing to help me eat in their restaurants. I have hope that someday, when I am a grown-up (still waiting), living gluten-free will be merely a slight inconvenience, not a nearly insurmountable obstacle. I have always been IMMENSELY grateful to those of my family and friends who have gone out of their way to make special things for me (I never expect people to learn a new way of cooking just because of my needs), and to waitstaff who accomodate me--on our anniversary, at GarWoods on Tahoe, our waitress brought me a plate of strawberries since I couldn't eat the bread. Only recently, however, I have decided to write disappointed letters to managers and owners of restaurants when their servers give me responses like "We don't really know," when I ask them if there is gluten in an entree. You don't KNOW? What kind of response is that? I can't eat gluten--it is not something that I just don't like to eat very much. If you just don't know, I cannot give you my service. I am okay with "We have done our best to find out, and yet we still feel uncertain," or "I don't know. I will go find someone who does." But simply "Um, probably not?" is unacceptable--but no one will know that if I do not tell them. Jeremy has been an amazing support and advocate as far as that is concerned, and will occasionally say things like "Would you go ask please?" or whatever, which is nice, becauses frankly I don't want to have to spoil my relaxing evenings out being militant. But if a restaurant leaves me no choice, I must have the strength to be an activist, and to assertively pursue my own enjoyment.

Anyway, if you would like to know more about celiac disease, here are a few links for you:
www.celiac.com
www.celiacchicks.com
www.csaceliacs.org

And kudos to those restaurants that either want to serve people or want to capitalize on celiacs' business--frankly, I don't care which it is! Outback Steak House, PF Chang's, Andina, Assiago, Cafe Flora, and The Corbett Fish House are all restaurants with gluten-free menus available on request. Imagine my glee when I don't have to play 20 questions with my server! I have also had amazing help, at least once, at Rockbottom Brewery, Red Robin (go figure), Fife, and GarWoods.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a force of change is an investment of your time and energy. Kudos to you for writing those letters.

Anonymous said...

At least you handle the ignorant waiters better than Selah! Although, I'm sure hitting them on the head with your snack cup and spraying them with water from a sippy cup would be immensly satisfying if not productive. :))))

JenniferBradford said...

Andrew is allergic to gluten. So I have started using gluten free products and recipes. I love Namaste brand. I also publish gluten free recipes on my blog. If you know of any good recipes or products, I would love to know. My next recipe will be for chocolate coconut cake.