Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Alter Ego

I don't think I have ever been aware of how much I must see Selah as some part of myself as I have begun to be now that she is interacting more with other children, often in less-than-cute ways.

When I was chatting with friends at a gelatto shop and their two-year-old son tried to take Selah's toy, she didn't fuss, say "no," or simply let him have it, as she formerly would have done. Instead she screamed at the top of her lungs as if he had tried to cut her head off, frightening him so much that he ran away and lay down on the ground, terrified. Later in the day when this same child tried to have some of her cheerios, she attacked him with her snack cup, hitting him with it repeatedly, and when I whisked it away, she used her sippy cup to spray him with water. I was horrified.

Our darling baby has turned into a toddler, and I take this personally. She is supposed to be an angel, thereby reflecting both my first-rate genes and my outstanding parenting techniques. Instead, we have become a spectacle, the sort of scene-causers that cause you to avoid our aisle at Safeway: a screaming toddler throwing fits so hard that her lips are turning blue from oxygen deprivation, and a distraught, tussled mother, begging, "Please honey, just put back the M&Ms. Please? Please sweetie? Okay, fine! Eat them! Just be quiet, please!"

Tonight we ate dinner with our neighbors, and Selah spent some time playing with their daughter. The three-year-old girl was actually being quite nice for a three-year-old, but she had her limits; Selah surely should not be allowed to monopolize the toys or press all of the buttons on her small stereo. In response to the girl's attempts at regaining some control over the chaos, Selah shrieked "nonono!" clenching her eyes shut and waving her fists wildly. I'd love to say I was shocked, but this has become an every-five-minutes production. It is tiring to say the least, and generally kind of embarrassing. The real rub, however, is that this wasn't supposed to happen. Selah is so social, so friendly, so downright flirty--so why is she beating up little boys who are sharing her snack? I remember statements like "I'll give you something to cry about," and "DoYouWantMeToPullDownYourPantsAndSpankYouRightHere???" and I suddenly completely understand what drove our poor parents to make such silly and useless threats. And of course I was dumb enough to believe them. What scares me is that I know, just from looking into Selah's scarily shrewd little brown eyes, that she would turn to me in a couple of years and say "Yes," calling me on my bluff. Who, after all, in their right mind, would ACTUALLY pull down their child's pants and spank them in a restaurant? Don't answer that, because I certainly wouldn't, and that's all that matters.

I guess I don't know what else to say, except to apologize in advance if my child happens to advance on you at some point, rebuking you loudly and swinging.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Thanks for this encouraging story of your parenting joys. I can't wait until our little bundle starts wailing on the other kids on the playground or shrieking when I take the stuffed animal from his hands to place it back on the shelf.

I have a friend who told me once that his wife was the "utmost of crucibles". I bet that he'd say the same thing about his kid--and so would you.

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that same little 2 year old boy has his moments, sending his tussled mum into the car for a good cry about once a week. There is truly something about the approaching 2's that turns our little angels into PERIODIC boundary pushers- okay, they are sometimes down right violent offenders! Hang in there, each new phase calls for a new soul searching WHY DID I CHOOSE TO BECOME A PARENT!?! And then small answers come here and there and some how, we raise great kids.
BTW- if you're serious, let's chat about working together two days a week. Could work well! Lord knows I can't afford preschool!
And one more thing, that girl of yours is a DOLL and when she's having a fit, try to remember that NO ONE thinks it reflects you. (If they do, they are missing too many brain cells to matter to you!)