Sunday, August 5, 2007

Gratitude

Today in church, Luke Hendrix spoke. I tend to become highly suspicious when anyone but the lead pastor (in our case, Rick McKinley) speaks, as I become fairly accustomed to the style of sermon that I like to hear.

However, Luke did not let me down. Today's focus was on Imago's annual volunteer day--this year entitled "Love Portland. " (www.loveportland.org. Apparently loveportland.com is something QUITE different.)

When asked which was the most important commandement, Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Interestingly, we are also told, "Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare," in Jeremiah 29:7.

Anyway, Luke asked us to examine our hearts before volunteering for any of the projects on September 8th. It is true--too many people try to be perfect and serve their way into being so, eventually burning out, hurting people, etc. I somehow took away mostly just gratitude, that God loves us even if we don't understand it. Moreover, what touched me far beyond any of the rest of the sermon was this:

Matthew 11:28-30 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Jesus might ask us to love Him, but it is so much more peaceful than trying to do everything ourselves. Trying to control and constantly damage-control my life always makes me feel stressed and even despairing.

However, when I don't look for "the" solution to everything, marvelous things fall into my hand. Tonight, when we are having trouble finding food for ourselves, we are eating some lovely chard that a man was giving away from his garden right outside of the building. I have a friend who babysits for IOUs, and even has said we could simply babysit for her child-to-be down the road instead of paying her. We have been loaned everything from baby clothes to an excellent crib. All of these gifts came from people who love God, and therefore, for whatever reason, love us. :) We have wonderful families, friends, community, and a good house and jobs. We are healthy and we have each other. What is not to be grateful for? And I feel full, and ready to help others just for the joy of helping.

1 comment:

Jeremy Meehan said...

I'm so lucky to be married to you!